Monday, June 14, 2010

One Hit Wonders (Music for Monday's)

I stumbled across the idea for this post when I was praying the LOTH today and ran across this quote attributed to Mother Teresa of Calcutta: “God has not called me to be successful; He has called me to be faithful.”

I suppose some of the following artists were on the precipice of worldly success, some probably didn't care, but others hoped for superstardom. As you will see, that wasn't meant to be because these were all "one hit wonders."

But the following songs were hits because each of them struck a chord with listeners, or at least with program directors, back in the heyday of radio. So let's consider them catholic with a small "c" and have a little fun going down memory lane with what I can remember hearing on the radio or television over the years.

Norman Greenbaum, Spirit in the Sky (1969-70) For the longest time, I thought this was played by the band T-Rex.  I always liked it growing up, and dug the guitar riffs too. And who doesn't want to "go to the place that's the best?"



Hillside Singers, I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (1972). The song that later became an iconic commercial success for Coca-Cola. I hope you hum it all day long.



Sister Janet Mead, The Lord's Prayer (1974). Made it to #4 on Billboards Top 100 back in 1974. A rockin' nun from South Australia, I remember the tune well.  You all know the words so sing along!



Patrick Hernandez, Born to be Alive (1979) Break out your dancin' shoes because "you see we're born, born, born to be alive (born too be alive.)" I can't argue with that!



The Korgis, Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime (1980). Don't look know, but we've hit the Eighties. Does anyone else remember this tune? A classic catholic one hit wonder if there ever was one. Universal appeal? Just check the following lyrics,

Change your heart
Look around you.
Change your heart
It will astound you.



Joey Scarbury, Believe It Or Not  (1981) Also know from the television series The Greatest American Hero, where a teacher is given a suit by aliens that gives him superpowers.  It was a fun show starring William Katt, Robert Culp and Connie Selleca.  Music by Mike Post. While we're at it, does everyone remember the Solid Gold dancers? Sheesh!



Maybe next week we'll continue with One Hit Wonders through the Eighties.