Monday, September 20, 2010

Seal II (Music for Mondays)

A while back, I wrote a post about my Mustang's harmonic balancer. It turned out that my own "harmonic balancer" was out of whack too.  When my pony sat fallow for all that time, the album that I'm about to share with you sat inside the cassette player. It, just like the car, sat there the whole time.

During the waiting period, I did a lot of work on my house. I did a lot of reading too. I was thinking about becoming a Catholic, but wasn't committed to the idea...yet. It was the Summer of 2007, and I turned to the task of fixing my car. As I recounted in the post above, I took the 'Stang to some pro's. They had her fixed in no time, and on the way home from the shop, I put the top down, and turned the stereo on. And the following tunes began to play.

I had never really listened to the whole album before. I mean, not to the lyrics.  I was that fellow in the Pink Floyd song who was "comfortably numb," see? But when these songs started playing, they hit me like a ton of bricks, lyrics and all.

I had always liked a couple of the songs, and sang them like a crazy man, occasionally, when blasting around the freeways of Los Angeles in the 'Stang.  But after my readings and reflecting on my faith, and realizing whose harmonic balancer was really out of whack, coupled with hearing Seal sing these songs on this album, and in this order...well, let's just say I crossed the "line of departure" and there was no turning back.

Does God work through the secular? I don't have any doubt about it. After all, it is His world, you know.

Bring It On. This is the first song. You can go to YouTube directly for the lyrics too(for all of the songs below). I'll just get out of Seal's way now.



Prayer for the Dying. You don't have to have AIDS to be one of the dying. This is all of us.



Dreaming in Metaphors. Why must we dream in metaphors?
Try to hold on to something we couldn't understand.




Don't Cry. I thought to myself, who is singing this? Our Lord, Our Lady? Both? What has the world done to me...



Fast Changes. There is a time to wait, and a time to act. For me, it was time to act.



Kiss From A Rose. I wrote a post on this one earlier here.




People Asking Why. I mean, I was certainly asking this question, for a long time.

How do I get to where I've come from, now?
How will I paint this garden I've destroyed, green?
Can I get back to where I've come from?




Newborn Friend. I remember thinking, Christmas in July!



If I Could. I would explain it all if I could. Some things just can't be put into words.



I'm Alive. I heard this and the part of the lyrics you see here? I must have rewound that tape 20-25 times to make sure. Yep, I heard that right.

Your hands found me.
Blood on the cross,
And it changed my life.



Bring It On(Reprise). Right back where we started. Get thee to RCIA!