Monday, October 25, 2010

Thanks to Steve Miller (Music for Mondays)

My wife and I recently celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary. We both had this in common when we met: a love for the music of Steve Miller. So what follows are some of Steve's all-time greatest hits. My wife and I enjoy them and I bet you will too.

All of these are live performances and most are from a show Steve played in Chicago. Is Steve a Catholic? I have no idea. But I know "feel good," and loving music when I hear it. This is what Steve excels at. And sometimes I can hear Catholic social teaching here too, loud and clear. First up, some biographical information.

Crossroads and Fly Like an Eagle. This is live, with interesting background information and some serious help from master guitarist Joe Satriani on both tunes. Crossroads is a cover of the Robert Johnson blues hit, electrified by Eric Clapton and the his buddies at Cream. Steve states that he is positive, but not a pollyanna. You go man!



Serenade. I forgot to add this tune to my space jams from last week. This song is, as one of my friends would say, a seven layer dip of awesome. Wake up people! And note to Steve: I can play the maracas and tambourine too...really.



The Joker. An all-time personal favorite, and aside from the midnight toker verse(not!), a pretty good description of me. This from the encore of the show but I bumped it up here near the top (where it belongs).



Swingtown If you don't like to dance, that sounds like something you should work on. Just sayin' maybe this can help you out. It helps me out, even if I make my wife laugh out loud.



Jungle Love. The story of Frank's courtship. LOL. And Steve even signs some autographs too.



Rock'n Me. Hard to find a job? Steve's got that right. Sing along now (and work on your resume later)!



Jetliner. Come on, who doesn't love this song?! Going away to college, on a deployment, on a business trip, etc. etc.



Take the Money and Run. Don't let your kids watch too much television, because "thou shall not steal." Then again, they might want to attend the police academy. This is great music for a road trip.



Abracadabra. One of the last big hits the Steve Miller Band had, in the early 1980's. It sounds even better live.



Mercury Blues. It's the least I could do, since Steve was introducing it above. He shows us his bluesy side, and I love the blues.



Wild Mountain Honey and Winter Time Let's finish up this edition of MfM with this two-for-one video. Learn how to love, and prepare for winter. The time for the former is now, and the latter will be here soon enough. Dig that cool harp thingy on Steve's guitar too!



Who likes SMB? Sound-off in the comm box and I'll see you next week.