Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Because of Joan of Arc, Again

I don’t know what it is with female saints, but they get to me, Joan of Arc in particular, although I’m reading a biography of Teresa of Avila now, and I’m already hooked. She was one of the first saints to have a devotion to St. Joseph. Priest me no female priests. What other church, what other world religion treats holy women with such high regard?

Fact is, though, this post is mostly a pretext to show off this beautiful retablo of St. Joan by Ann Burt, who has made retablos a personal mission.

Last week I bought Ann’s retablo of St. Joseph, which now hangs inside the door to my office, so that I can greet my patron saint coming and going. I’ll use it to illustrate a future post on San José (St. Joseph to you). I also bought Ann’s version of the Carmelite saint Thérèse of Lisieux so that I can give it to a Carmelite priest who is guest-teaching my fourth-graders in religious education this afternoon.

You’ll find some of Ann’s work featured here on Etsy.