Monday, February 1, 2010

While My Guitar Loudly Prays (Music for Mondays)

Sometimes a couple of guys just have to let their hair down, even if they are a pair of Catholic bloggers and they don’t have as much hair as they once did. It’s Monday, which makes it music time at YIM Catholic. There’s a lot here to pick and choose from. We’ve tried to suggest why these songs matter, but maybe they don’t.
Maverick: Tower, this is Ghost Rider requesting a flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
(You know where that led. Enjoy!)

The Beach Boys, “I Get Around”
We received a few comments (unpublished, thank you very much!) from an agent of the Enemy. Whereupon, in our humble opinion, the Holy Spirit responded by sending our posts on the spiritual lives of children and the death of J.D. Salinger far and wide, thanks to a much-appreciated double hit at New Advent.

My buddies and me are gettin’ real well known,
Yeah the bad guys know us and they leave us alone. . . .



The Arcade Fire, “Wake Up”
Webster writes: “It has always made sense to me that before we can experience a full spiritual life, we have to, that’s right, Wake Up, People!!!”
Something filled up my heart with nothing,
Someone told me not to cry. 
Now that I’m older, my heart is colder, 
And I can see that it’s a lie. . . .



Dire Straits, “Brothers in Arms,” at Mandela Live 1988
Webster writes: “Best finger-pickin’ guitar in the world. Best message. No further explanation needed.”
There’s so many different worlds, so many different suns.
But we have just one world, though we live in different ones. . . .
We’re fools to make war on our brothers in arms.



Radiohead, “Creep”
Frank writes, “I heard this song on the radio the morning of J.D. Salingers death, before the news hit the wires. Using a little imagination, this is a modern psalm of lamentation.”

When you were here before, 
Couldn't look you in the eye
You're just like an angel, 
Your skin makes me cry.
You float like a feather
In a beautiful world.
I wish I was special,
You're so very special.



Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, “Couldn’t Stand the Weather”
SRV died in 1990 in a helicopter crash between gigs.  He had turned his life around with Christianity (probably not Catholic, but not the point) and had turned away from substance abuse, which almost killed him. This is the title cut from his second album. Frank writes: “He was a favorite of mine.  I saw him in concert twice in the two weeks between MSG (Embassy) Duty and an overseas deployment. I was just starting my sophomore year after leaving the Corps when the music died.”

Runnin' through this business of life,
rarely time if I'm needed to
Ain't so funny when things ain't feelin' right,
then Daddy's hand helps to see me through. . . .

Like a train that stops at every station,

we all deal with trials and tribulations

Fear hangs the fellow that ties up his years,

entangled in yellow and cries all his tears
...