Wednesday, March 24, 2010

To Become Like Little Children

This afternoon my friend Carol led my fourth-grade religious ed class through the Stations of the Cross. Teaching this class this year has been a revelation, and while I look forward to the summer break, I will miss these kids. They continue to teach me.

They have surprised me in so many ways: Boys who didn't seem to give a hang in October now reading along attentively with Carol. Look at my pal C at left! Not to mention the other C in the Jacoby Ellsbury Red Sox jersey.

Girls who wanted only to blend in with the woodwork, meek, seemingly afraid or unwilling to step forward, now front and center with their interest. That's my friend E to the left of the column, looking so intently at the 11th Station. Beautiful!

Children have a deep, indelible wish to know God. I can't wait for my next class in the fall. I can't wait to start learning again.