Monday, March 29, 2010

To Root for West Virginia in the Final Four

Why would a Catholic cheer for West Virginia against Duke, Butler, and Michigan State in the NCAA basketball championship? I am trying to be objective here. I am setting aside my intense dislike for Coach K's #1-ranked unit from Duke. (My daughter is concluding a stellar career at UNC, last year's champion and Duke's bitter rival.) No, I am looking at this from a strictly Catholic perspective, with rosary beads entwined in my fingers.

Think about it: The Dukies are the "Blue Devils." Please! You really gonna root for Satan's minions?! Michigan State is a good ol' Big Ten team, and I am a Big Ten fan. But coach Tom Rizzo's men are "The Spartans." Pagans! Plus, they defeated Tennessee and Frank is still smarting from the loss. (Frank quote: "Free-throws—sheesh!")

That leaves Butler and West Virginia. With the last name of Bull, I can see taking a look at the Butler "Bulldogs." But finally, I have to go with the lads from Morgantown, WV, "The Mountaineers."

Ever heard of Mt. Sinai? The Sermon on the Mount? I predict West Virginia will do an angry Moses on Duke in the semifinal Saturday, and then wallop the pagans beatifically on Monday night. And Frank likes 'em too because he is a hillbilly. 'Nuff said.

So, West Virginia all the way! You heard it here first.