Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Chants and the Gloria is Back! (Music for Mondays)

Though it says "Posted by Webster," this post was written by Frank. We're having technical issues. . . .

Here at YIM Catholic, we hope you had a Blessed Easter! I found a few chants that even a hillbilly like me can even understand. I hope you enjoy them.

First, one from Holy Thursday—
They have stripped me of my garments 
and clothed me in a scarlet robe

They have set upon my head 
a crown of thorns

And have given me 
a reed in my right hand

That I might dash them in pieces

like potter’s vessel(video ends here)
Today hell cries out groaning
I should not have accepted the man born of Mary

He came and destroyed my power

He shattered the gates of brass
as God he raised the souls that I had held captive
Glory to thy cross and resurrection O Lord



The next one is long! It's in English again and from the Candle ceremony from the Easter Vigil: the Exsultet. To follow along, you might want to open this in another tab.



I don't know about you, but I've been missing the Gloria! Here is Vivaldi's version,



Let's back that up with Mozart's version:



Bach's version? I thought you would never ask!



Late breaking addition.  Gloria by U-2

Gloria...

I try to sing this song
I, I try to stand up
But I can't find my feet
I try, I try to speak up
But only in you I'm complete
Gloria...in te domine
Gloria...exultate
Gloria...Gloria
Oh Lord, loosen my lips.



See you next week!