Monday, May 3, 2010

It's Only Rock and Roll II (Music for Mondays)

Happy Monday people! It's raining in my neck of the woods, how about yours? I've come up with 5 religious (or near religious songs) that did well on the charts. They still sound good today too and always make me think of the divine. Some more than others for sure and maybe none of them for you. Either way, if nothing else, they may help you see that the divine is always at work and still breaks in upon the secular just to remind us of that fact.

Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton, Crossroads. A cover of the classic written (and first performed by) Robert Johnson. Of course, the legend is that Robert Johnson, who rocketed to fame and then died at age 27, sold his soul to the Devil. I suppose we will all know the truth about that one day. In the meantime, these two have some good, clean,fun with the song that helped Cream make it into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame.

I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees.
I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees.
Asked the Lord above for mercy, save me if you please.

The Police, Secret Journey. I always liked this tune by the Police. From their 1981 album Ghost in the Machine. The West frowns upon monks and figures they are wasting time and accomplishing nothing. Catholic Christians know better, right? Right!? A very unique sound that the Police (Sting, Andy Summers, and Stewart Copeland) were known for.


The Police again, and from the same album too. Spirits in the Material World. C.S. Lewis once said, "we are souls, we have bodies." Forget theology for a few minutes and just enjoy the tune.

George Harrison, My Sweet Lord. I know, I know, the chorus chants "hare Krishna" at the end. That doesn't mean I have to! I just keep singing hallelujah instead.


Simon and Garfunkel, Bridge Over Troubled Water. If this doesn't make you think of Our Lord, then I don't know what will.

I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down