Monday, June 7, 2010

Baseball (Music for Mondays)

A few days ago, Webster posted on the imperfect call heard 'round the world. Baseball has been a big part of my life, especially after I became a dad, with two boys who play the game. Softball is pretty big too, as my daughter plays that game (and my alma mater, UCLA,  is in the College Softball World Series championship game, Go Bruins!).

There is a lot of baseball on my, and my oldest son's plate this week as he has a camp, hitting lessons, games, and finally try-outs for the high school team.  All of that on the weekdays, and of course, more baseball this weekend too.  So when thinking of music for this Monday, I have baseball on the brain.

Baseball gives me chills sometimes.  This scene from The Natural always does.



Brought to you by the guy who wrote and sang such hits as Short People  and I Love L.A., Randy Newman did the score for The Natural.


Anyone not remember this speech from Field of Dreams?


And the theme? Composed, co-orchestrated, conducted, and produced by James Horner.



A baseball music post would not be complete without John Fogerty's Centerfield. Check out that baseball bat shaped guitar. Nice!


Nor would it be complete without Wild Thing covered by the band X. Made famous from the comedy movies Major League and Major League 2.


Take me out to the ball game!