Monday, November 15, 2010

I Just Met Nickleback (Music for Mondays)

Feast of St. Albert the Great 
Lead Guitar, Rhythm Guitar, Bass, and Drums.  This is the Golden Mean ratio of Rock 'n Roll, folks. It is like π, a constant that is both routine and mysterious.

Proven, like the four man fire-team of a Marine rifle squad. Robust, like the Ford V-8 engines, big-block or small, that spanked the whiz-bang V-12 Ferrari's (large and small) at the 24 Hours of Le Mans four consecutive times (1966-1969).

In a word, classic. Much like the Catholic Church, now that I think about it.

However, without lyrics that mean something, it is all for naught. But when the poet sings to us too, while jamming out tunes that get our hearts and our feet moving? You get the classic four piece bands that legends are made of: The Beatles, the Who, U2, the Eagles, and the band I'm bringing to you today:

Nickleback.

Now out of Vancouver, Canada this band was unknown to me until two days ago. That's right, I must live under a rock because they have been making music since 1995. Thankfully, I have some friends who pull me out of the cave every once in a while and introduce me to "new" old bands making music that I may like.

But I'm not the only one of my friends who never heard of them. Their Facebook page has 4,911,324+ adoring fans (and only two of my friends "like" them?!), which makes even Anne Rice's fan page seem (and ours infinitesimally so) insignificant. I hope the following clips will help explain their appeal.

If Everyone Cared. Have you gotten involved in our letter writing (actually, e-mail writing) campaign? The Nuncio at the UN has offered up his Diplomatic Pouch so we can send messages of encouragement to our brethren in Baghdad. Have you thought of making a donation? Sure, it's a small thing. But what if we do nothing? Nothing will get done. I think Chad Kroeger & Co. knock the cover off the ball here. Watching this I can't help but think of Dorothy Day.



If Today Was Your Last Day. I have no idea if these guys are Christians. But listen to the lyrics and watch these scenes unfold and you may only be concerned about one thing: am I living life as a true Christian, or like a pretender? I know I fall short.


Nickelback - If Today Was Your Last Day from Nickelback on Vimeo.

Never Gonna Be Alone I have sons and a daughter too. And time is certainly fleeting. Before I know it, my children will be on their own. But even if I'm gone tomorrow, Our Lord, The Church, and the Faith, will still be here for them. So they'll never be alone either. Thanks be to God.



For the last two, I have to send you to You Tube. Please excuse any commercials.

Far Away. A young couple, the husband a fire-fighter. He, or she, could just as easily be a police officer or in the military. It's a tough career on families. My wife got a phone call like this once, and though she got her husband back too, it took a little longer than this.

Savin' Me. Some of Nickleback's songs are about getting drunk and crazy, Burn It To The Ground, for example. The usual silliness that rock bands sometimes dip into, right? Think of Van Halens', um, "thought provoking" songs. There is a time and a place for songs like BITTG, but this song is not like that at all. There is a longing here that comes through loud and clear.

Show me what it's like
To be the last one standing
And teach me wrong from right
And I'll show you what I can be.