Monday, November 29, 2010

Meet the Beatles! (Music for Mondays)

I'm not even going to try and squeeze all of the good out of the Beatles in this post. It simply can't be done. It's not even remotely possible. Sure, maybe Rolling Stone magazine (or these guys) could come up with the definitive Beatles play list, but why would you believe it? I mean, on what authority?

I'm just glad the Vatican gave them the big thumbs up sign! So forget all about picking the "best Beatles songs of all time" and let's just enjoy a selection of some of my favorites here. To top it off, I'll even include a few of my own thoughts, that granted, are completely, 100% guaranteed, private interpretations of their lyrics.

What's that? I can't interpret their lyrics, you say? And why not? The Apple Records Magisterium doesn't exist. And even if it did, it collapsed when the Beatles divorced, broke up, split, and basically went their separate ways. As such, I can make their lyrics mean anything I want them to. Sure, it's bad form to ignore the intent of the artists, especially when several of them are still alive to tell you what they were actually saying. But I've got three words for you on that front: Let It Be. Hey, that sort of rhymes with "heresy" doesn't it?

So hold on to your hats and get ready to meet the Beatles!

Help! Live, back when live meant "for real." These lyrics ring true for me and for my need for Our Lord and His Church. I used to be a believer in "sola" this and "sola" that. But now? Well it's Advent and I'm singing this song until Christmas.



Twist and Shout, and Baby's in Black. And you thought that first clip was live? Try Shea Stadium with an introduction by Ed Sullivan. My interpretation of T&S? Well, if you twist the scriptures and shout out only the parts of it that you like, it makes it a whole lot easier to ignore the hard, you know, Catholic sounding stuff. As for the second song, well, thankfully... it just fades away.



I Feel Fine. Same venue.  But now, the Beatles sing about my love for Mother Church! And dig this—it's reciprocal!



Paperback Writer A song any blogger could love. Especially an accidental one like me.



I Need You. From the album, and the movie, Help! This is one of George Harrison's songs. My kids really enjoyed this Beatle movie. Maybe you can watch it this coming weekend. As for these lyrics, well...who needs who?

So, come on back and see just what you mean to me. I need you.




You Got To Hide Your Love Away. Did I mention my family and I love the movie Help!? This is John singing about what "the world" wants us to do. But this is what we are supposed to really do with love: don't hide it away. Instead, Our Lord says (Matthew 5:16)

So let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Sounds like a command to me!




Here Comes the Sun. One of George's songs again. Now, is that spelled "sun" or "son?" Hmmm.



Nowhere Man. This is great! And the discussion of modern day theology at the beginning is prophetic. "So little time, and so much to know!" George hits the nail on the head with his comment "a boob for all seasons."



Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. OK, this song really rocks! And get this, my kids love it too. Success!



With a Little Help From My Friends. Because, I just couldn't leave you hanging from the lead-in to this from the last tune. *wink* That and really, what would we be like without friends? In the Church, our friends and family are in heaven, on their way there, and fellow wayfarers here on earth too. Like Martha Stewart would say, "friends—it's a good thing."



Revolution. Is this song about the Reformation? Probably not, but the lyrics make me wonder. I do have faith that everything "will be alright" in the end. And the part about Chairman Mao is dead-on too. Shoo-be-doo-whop!



Get Back With a little help from Billy Preston on keyboards. Is this the theme song for "Catholics Come Home?" Because the title says it all. Live, as always, these boys could get the job done. Even on top of a roof with a couple of amps and a jury-rigged sound system. Check out John on lead guitar!



Let It Be.Just when you thought it was safe to enter the water, they up and sing a song about Mother Mary. Sheesh! With a little help again from Billy Preston on keyboards.



Lady Madonna. Whaat?! A second one?



All Together Now. From the end of the movie Yellow Submarine. Sing along (it's pretty easy to remember the lyrics).



See? Once again, we haven't even scratched the surface. One good thing though: most of these songs are short. I'll see you next week for more MfM.