Saturday, December 18, 2010

For Your Saturday Night at the Movies: The Sound of Music

Neophyte nun meets naval captain widower with 7 children. "Salzburg Austria in the last golden days of the 1930's." Unsure of Maria's vocation, the Mother Superior of the abbey assigns her to the von Trapp household as a governess.

I held out against seeing this movie for the longest time. Until 2003 as I recall. Now it's one of my favorites! Me and the kids know all of the tunes and break into song with the von Trapps with reckless abandon! Well, I still do anyway (how embarrassing!).

Beautiful scenery, great music, several love stories, kids that are a handful, Nazi sympathizers, the Anschluss, bosuns whistles, play clothes made from drapery cloth, Maria's vocation problem is resolved, nuns removing ignition coils. Seriously, it doesn't get much better than this!

Check out the trailer!




A Few of My Favorite Things.



An apology and The Lonely Goatherd, my favorite!