Monday, January 17, 2011

In the Name of Love (Music for Mondays)

It's Monday and I realize that I haven't done a music post in a while. I was all caught up in the Christmas Season, see, and many of those posts included music.

But now it's Ordinary Time, and I'm putting my VJ hat back on. Pretend that I'm driving this van around today, playing the following songs on a non-stop loop, with no particular place to go.

The theme for the day is simple, and yet paradoxically complex. It's love. Sure, I've posted about this for sometime now. I think I've even done an MfM post on this subject before too. No matter. Love is a very deep well, especially when we move away from mercenary love and embrace love like Christ, and His saints do. Like Our Lord told the scholar of the law,

Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments dependeth the whole law and the prophets.

We begin with one of my all-time favorites.

U2, Pride. It's a federal holiday here in the United States. We are celebrating the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. today, as does this song. Have you read Father Barrons blogpost on why Martin Luther King still matters yet? Get thee hither now! *Read while you listen.*



Steve Winwood with special guest Chaka Kahn, Higher Love. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Steve is singing about animal lust here. Because so base a topic, though sung of often, doesn't satisfy us, does it? We are called to love deeper than that, and Steve's song here reminds me of this. And what a great duet with Chaka Kahn too!



The Blues Brothers, Gimme Some Lovin'. Guess what? Steve Winwood wrote this one too. From my favorite Vatican approved movie, Jake and Elwood sing about the fire.



Elton John, Your Song. I sang this one to my kids growing up when I was rocking them. I get misty eyed every time, and can never remember all of the second verse, after the eyes part. Get your tissue box out and sing along with me. And say a prayer for Gus', and his wife's, souls too.



The Beatles, All You Need Is Love. Someone once said that these guys get this idea all wrong. I'm not so sure of that. The song's title is, after all, a summation of the Two Greatest Commandments I shared above. This is grainy, but so am I,



The Who, Love Reign O'er Me. Unlikely to hear this coming from the band that sang "Hope I die before I get old," right? I found my home, how about you? Special guest on lead guitar? David Gilmore of Pink Floyd renown.



REM, The One I Love. One of my favorites too, and a favorite among artillerymen. Fuego! My time is being occupied more and more by The One lately.



Huey Lewis and the News, The Power of Love. Need I say more?



See you next week!