Monday, February 21, 2011

Artist's That Begin With an "S" & More (Music for Mondays)

For some of us in the United States, it is a federal holiday. We celebrate Presidents Day, where we commemorate the birthdays of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. It is one of those minor holidays though, where not everyone gets the day off.

If you are off today, and sleeping in, bully for you! If you aren't, play these songs for a lift during your lunch break. The names of the first three artists I'm sharing today begin with the letter "S". We'll start with a contemporary Christian band that is new to me first.

Switchfoot, Free. You can thank Marc Barnes of BadCatholic for pointing me toward this group and this song. He mentioned it in a blog post he wrote the other day. I think "the Kid" is on to something with liking this band. What say you?



Seal, Secret. Live from the Mandalay Bay hotel in Las Vegas, with the ubiquitous David Foster on piano. I'm always learning something new, and it turns out that David Foster is someone who I never knew by name, but who I have heard much of his work. Check out the biography on him and you'll understand why I called him "ubiquitous." And you guys know how I feel about Seal from previous posts.



Sarah MaLachlin, Ordinary Miracle. Sticking with artists whose names begin with the letter "S" for a minute, check out this beautiful tune. A friend of mine tipped me off to it by posting it on his Facebook Page. Thanks Sean!



The Police, Invisible Sun. From a secular perspective, this is one of my favorite three-piece bands. And this song, in a way, is an anthem against the Culture of Death. For those of you who don't know what an "armalite" is, I suggest you look at this link.

And they're only going to change this pace of
Killing everybody in the human race.
They would kill me for a cigarette
But I don't even want to die just yet...




Fiona Apple, Criminal. Remember this one? I heard it one the radio last week and it jogged my memory. Is it a temporal love song, or a spiritual one? I think it could be either. Fiona has a great voice though, that's for sure.

What I need is a good defense
Cause I'm feelin' like a criminal
And I need to be redeemed
To the one I've sinned against
Because he's all I ever knew of love.




Rush, New World Man. Speaking of three-piece bands, this one is another favorite of mine too. Three guys with big, BIG, sound and from a small package. I don't think everyone is on-board with being a New World Man yet. Our Lord is though.



Rush, Rivendell. Would you believe a song that was inspired by Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy? From their 1975 album Fly By Night. These novels have been inspiring people for generations.

Elven songs and endless nights
Sweet wine and soft relaxing lights
Time will never touch you
Here in this enchanted place




Tom Petty, Won't Back Down. You know what? This could be the hobbit Samwise Gamgee's theme song. Tom Petty with a couple of future Traveling Wilbury's on another one of my favorite songs. Lookee there! George Harrison, Ringo Starr and the Electric Light Orchestra's Jeff Lynn. How's that for an All-Star band?



See you next week folks. Enjoy your day today!