Monday, March 21, 2011

Déjà Vu (Music for Mondays)

Singing, dancing, joy. A break from the mundane, or the monstrous. That is what music offers us. Performance art that often times touches on truth. Poetry, set to music, that gets closer to what we think and feel as a united humanity than almost anything else.

That's one of the reasons I share music with you here, almost every Monday morning. And after the week just past, we need some music to put some spring in our steps.

Or maybe only I do. An earthquake, tsunami, nuclear meltdown threats, priest scandal mania. Oh, and did I mention we are engaged in Shock & Awe again? Sigh...

Note the title to this post, because with all that is happening in the world, Qoheleth (the inspired writer of Ecclesiastes) is giving us a lesson on how the more things change, the more they stay the same.

There are lots of cover songs in this weeks collection of videos. And lot's of work from a band who produced an album with the same title as this post. I had a lot of help from friends making these selections too. Because frankly, self-reliance is over-rated. Like in this first tune,

Matt Maher, MercyMe, Jars of Clay, Lecrae, and Thousand Foot Crutch, and more, cover Obla-di, Obla-da. The bands are on tour and having a little fun. They get by with a little help from their friends, come together, and do a great job on this rendition of a Beatles classic. I was tipped off to this by the folks at Life Teen International.



Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: Woodstock. For the rest of this post, I'll be referring to these guys as CSNY. You can blame this one on Deacon Greg Kandra. He referenced a few of the lines from this Joni Mitchell song in a reflection from last week. You guys know what I think of Neil Young, right? I'm not a baby-boomer and I've cast off the shackles of history so I'm not burdened by images of dope-smoking flower children when I listen to this. Give it a try and just listen to the words. I think you'll find a clear signal amidst the noise.



Seal, Fly Like An Eagle. Remember this cover of the Steve Miller Band classic? It was used in the movie Space Jam, and it works well, seeing how March Madness is upon us. My team was eliminated already (by Florida) so, one less thing to occupy my time until next year. And I'm sure you remember my affinity for Seal.



Crosby, Stills, and Nash: Our House. Invoking the title of this post again, there is threat of scandal in the house again. Do I like it? Am I happy about it? No. Should scandal result in internecine warfare amongst family members? The boys of CSN (sans Y) unwittingly help me stay focused on what's important here.



CSNY, Carry On. And to remember to keep marching forward along the Way.



CSNY, Teach Your Children. I wish I could say I am an unqualified success at doing this, but alas, I really don't know. I'll just keep slogging though. Teaching right from wrong, and teaching them to watch the world make the same mistakes over and over again. And that salvation isn't of the world but,

From his fullness we have all received, grace in place of grace, because while the law was given through Moses, grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.



Roll credits and I'll see you next week.