Monday, April 4, 2011

Because Martin Luther King Jr. Died For Truth On This Day in 1968

On this day in the year 1968, at 6:01 PM, in my home state, Martin Luther King Jr. was shot and killed by a man named James Earl Ray. I was 4 1/2 years old.

We as a nation lost a great man that day. We killed a great man that day. He was martyred for the beliefs that we all knew were true.

The day before he was assassinated, he preached a sermon known as the I've Been to the Mountaintop speech. Here is a clip from his last speech,



My life, my wife's life, and my children's lives, are immeasurably better because of what this man did for us in our country. But enough of my feeble words. He said everything that needed to be said on April 3, 1968. Today, allow me to let Bono & Company sing this lamentation for him. Let us dance and sing in triumph for what he accomplished in Our Lord and Savior's name.



Say a prayer for the soul of Martin Luther King Jr., for his family and thank God that He sent this man to speak the truth to help set free the captives. And while we're at it, join me in saying a prayer for the soul of James Earl Ray too.

From the National Archives: Findings on the MLK Assassination.