Thursday, June 2, 2011

For Guerilla Catechesis Like This By Stephen Colbert

Ok, so I don't get to watch television much. I'm not saying I never watch television, but I rarely get to sit down and take in a show, you know, in its entirety. I'd rather be writing, or reading, or watching one of my children's ball games.

Today, though, I was reading Mark Shea's blog and saw this video clip of Stephen Colbert teaching a class on Free Will, Satan, Sin, and Hell, courtesy of an interview he was doing on his comedy show (the Colbert Report) with Professor Philip Zimbardo of Stanford University.

Dr. Zimbardo wrote a book called The Lucifer Effect about what happens when folks obey unjust authority mindlessly. His implication regarding what took place in the Garden of Eden is interesting. But even a layman who happens to be a professional comedian can teach the Doc a thing or two. Take a look.

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Philip Zimbardo
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive

Now, I've not read the good professor's book, but I can bet you that he hasn't read the Book of Wisdom. Maybe you haven't either, because Martin Luther tossed it from the Canon after he took his scissors to the Sacred Scriptures. Right there, in chapter 2, God (via the Holy Spirit-inspired writer) says,

For God formed man to be imperishable; the image of his own nature he made him. But by the envy of the devil, death entered the world, and they who are in his possession experience it. (2:24-25)

Bravo Zulu! Stephen was running short of time, so he didn't have a chance to mention that fact. Dr. Z. got a little more than he bargained for though, wouldn't you say? And another thing, I'm not all jazzed up about Colbert's use of the F-word, so I'll send him this link too.

Well Done!