Monday, July 18, 2011

Three from S.D. (Music for Mondays)


I had a super busy weekend, thus not much on the posting front. My family and I played on the water all day Saturday, and spent Sunday criss-crossing the Carolinas taking my daughter to a camp. Now it's Monday morning and my "work for food" beckons.

But on the heels of my last post, I've got a couple of songs from a group whose sound I love. I don't know much about the members of the band, and I don't need to either. I'm not saying they are Catholics, saints, or even angels. I'm saying they JAM though, and with a raw sound that speaks of "the struggle."

So "S.D.", as in Social Distortion. Here are three of their songs that stand out to me,

Story of My Life. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Life goes by so fast,
You only want to do what you think is right.
Close your eyes and then it's past;
(it's the) story of my life.




Ball and Chain. Singing about marriage? Please. This is about the weight of sin folks. At least, that's how I hear it. Born to lose, and destined to fail." Without Christ, that about sums it up.



Angels' Wings. Dude...this is the work I was talkin' about the other day!

I triumphed in the face of adversity
And I became the man I never thought I’d be
And now my biggest challenge, a thing called love
I guess I’m not as tough as I thought I was




I've gotta go to work. I'll be back later.