Monday, August 8, 2011

Food for Thought (Music for Mondays)

In the wee early hours today, a post built around thoughts of a "ghetto Church" was launched. Those thoughts of Karl Rahner, SJ, prompted me to build this little selection of tracks. I call it "food for thought." Your mileage may vary.

Johnny Cash, No Earthly Good. Um, I'm not sure what the video spliced to this is all about, but this is the cleanest sounding version of this thought provoking tune from the "Man in Black." This reminds me of a saying of the Desert Fathers,

The old men used to say: ‘if you see a young monk climbing up to heaven by his own will, grasp him by the feet and throw him down, for this is to his profit.



Steely Dan, Home at Last. And so I am. I hope that you will join me, of your own free will. Hopefully a new generation will give rise to form more bands like this.



David Gilmour, Wish You Were Here. David is/was the lead guitarist for Pink Floyd. A great rendition of this song. Something about the cello adds just the right touch of, I don't know, "somberness" to the piece. And beauty.



Seal, Get It Together. Left, right, center; up, down, sideways; East, West, North, South,

We got to keep this world together, got to keep it moving straight
Love like we need forever, so that people can relate
If you're rolling to your left, don't forget I'm on the right
Trust and forgive each other
A little love and we just might




We aren't called to stay inside a circle. We're called to do much more than that. 

See you here next week.