Monday, August 15, 2011

Songs I've Never Heard (Music for Mondays)


Happy Monday! How much music have I never heard? A number that is very large, and pretty close to being represented by this symbol:  ∞ . So I'm probably in the same boat as you are, right? So I did a little exploring, looking for songs that I haven't heard but that I just might like. That is a number considerably smaller than infinity.

Of course, there are as many musical groups as there are stars in the sky, or garages in suburbia. So in order to make the cut for this post, the artists had to be well known and the songs almost spiritual, if not certainly so. What follows is what I turned up on my first pass at this category.

Stevie Wonder, Jesus Children of America. From the year 1973, somehow this one wasn't on the playlists of the radio stations near where I lived. That's a pity, I'm glad I found it so it can be enjoyed anew.



Willie Nelson, The Troublemaker Stirring up those folks, young and old, to the point where I never, ever heard it. That's all it takes sometimes. That, and the fact that it's a deep country kind of hit, which is an area of the radio dial I don't turn to much.



Queen, The Miracle. Lost amongst all their mega hits like Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are the Champions, etc., is this beautiful tune. Perhaps it's a bit utopian, and there are a few misses among the miracles here, but all in all, not a bad effort. I can't believe I never, ever, heard it.



U2, The Wanderer. Johnny Cash actually sung this one after the boys from U2 wrote it. Either way, I only just discovered it. The video includes a neat introduction by Joaquin Phoenix, who played Johnny in Walk the Line. Bono and the Boys with another undiscovered gem (to me anyway).



The Go-Go's, Here You Are. Just in time for the Feast of the Assumption, the Go-Go's from their 2001 album God Bless the Go-Go's, which was their first new album after a 17 year hiatus. I was kind of busy in 2001, so maybe that's why I missed this one. I hear their album cover caused a bit of a stir as each member of the group had their photograph taken as Our Lady, but I fear that was a bit of an overreaction.



Happy Feast Day!