Friday, September 30, 2011

Pray For Anu Garg? You Betcha!


Remember me and my pal Anu Garg? We went around the block a few times. Well unlike all the other times I've posted about him and his A.Word.A.Day website, this time my hat is off to him. Maybe caught wind of today's readings.

Whatever the reason, in a string unmatched in my memory every single one of the words featured on his list this week had a trademark Thought of the Day that could be appreciated by believers as well as atheists. Amazing grace!

Maybe Anu is starting to come around? I don't know. He's gone on record as an atheist (I believe), and as being skeptical about religion. I think it's safe to say he's an agnostic. But maybe he's a seeker in disguise? Weren't /aren't we all?

His theme for this week has been eponyms and you can check them all out here. But I'll share their accompanying Thought of the Day quotes from his current selections here.

Monday: This one's a home run. If God put one person on this earth (besides Christ Himself) who can convert the skeptics of the world, this is the fellow. My buddy Blaise!

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others. -Blaise Pascal, philosopher and mathematician (1623-1662)

You got that right, Anu. Thanks for noticing!

Tuesday: This one's a double, if not a triple. I don't know what Galbraith's religious persuasions were. I know many dub him as a Liberal economist, but I appreciate the great (and prophetic) book he wrote titled The Great Crash. Reading it as a young stock broker prepared me for the storm we have lived through recently. They say history doesn't repeat itself, but sometimes it rhymes. Qoheleth knows.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. -John Kenneth Galbraith, economist (1908-2006)

Ain't that the truth?!

Wednesday: Another triple, but with fewer words. I don't know John Ruskin from John D. Rockefeller, but truer words were never written than these,

When a man is wrapped up in himself he makes a pretty small package. -John Ruskin, author, art critic, and social reformer (1819-1900)

Thursday: Probably a single, but keep in mind that Anu is 4 for 4 so far in his appearences at the plate. We have a genuine streak going on here with this quote. I think he knocked in an RBI with this one too. My buddy Qoheleth agrees.

Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial. -Richard Ben Sapir, novelist (1936-1987)

Friday: Woke up this morning, and what did I see? This kernel of wisdom from a good (and holy) Pharisee! Short, sweet, but a walk-off grand slam for the win (FTW!).

Be the master of your will and the slave of your conscience. -Hasidic saying

Anu? How'd these good seeds get mixed in with the weeds? A minor miracle perhaps? I'm starting to see our relationship with a clearer eye, and in a whole 'nother light. See you next week mon ami, and I'll be praying for you and your readers brother.

This calls for a song! Deacon Scott Dodge and I are on the same wavelength,