Friday, September 2, 2011

For Your Holiday Friday Night at the Movies: Soul Surfer


Are you ready for Summer to be over and for the kids to head back to school? Well guess what. My kids have been back in school since 3 weeks ago. Ugh! But just like the kids who don't start school until after Labor Day, their consolation is a long weekend now.

So my daughter (I can't believe she's taller than my wife now!) asked if we could watch the following movie: Soul Surfer. We missed it when it was in the theaters, and I remember that the reviews for it were decent, though not smashing ("we'll wait for the DVD"), so my wife jumped on it.

The true story of teen surfer Bethany Hamilton, who lost her arm in a shark attack and courageously overcame all odds to become a champion again, through her sheer determination and unwavering faith.

What a great story that helps to put things in perspective for us. Starring Dennis Quaid (Remember The Rookie and The Right Stuff? I love that guy!) and Helen Hunt (Twister!).

Check out the trailer,



The bonus for waiting on the DVD? The 30 minute documentary The Heart of a Soul Surfer. Here's a taste,



My kids have all finished their homework and are ready for 3 glorious days off, one last long weekend before the long haul to Thanksgiving. Who's making the popcorn?!