Monday, September 19, 2011

Gone Readin' Helena by Evelyn Waugh


Why haven't I been posting much lately? You can blame Fr. Steve Grunow, who suggested the book you see above to me a few days ago. I've never read anything by Evelyn Waugh, and I'm not ashamed to say that for most of my life I figured Evelyn was a lady, and I wasn't much interested in what she had to say.

Yeah, yeah, I've got me a college degree and all, and after I became a Catholic and snooped around a bit I learned that Evelyn was a man, a Catholic, and he wrote some great novels that were turned into classics for Masterpiece Theater. Still, I was about as excited to read anything written by him as I was interested in say...watching paint dry, or grass grow. Yawn.

But then I found that neat book about the True Cross by Louis de Combes, and Fr. Steve suggested Waugh's book. I checked the catalog at the library, noted a copy was on the shelf, and I strolled over there and picked it up pronto. I haven't been able to put it down since. Here's a taste:

"Chlorus, is it true what they are saying in Ratisbon: that you are going to be Caesar?"

"Who say that?"

"The governor's wife, the widow of the banker, all the ladies."

"It may be true. Aurelian and I have spoken of it before. After the battle, he spoke of it again. He has to go to Syria now, to tidy up trouble there. After that he will return to Rome for his triumph. Then we shall see."

"Do you want it?"

"It's not what I want, ostler; it's what Aurelian wants that counts, he and the army and the empire. It is nothing to be shy of, just another, larger command—Gaul, the Rhine, Britain, possibly Spain. The empire's too big for one man; that's been proved. And we need a secure succession, a second-in-command who's been trained to the job, knows the ropes, can step in straight away when the command falls vacant; not leave each army to declare for its own general and fight it out as they've done lately. Aurelian is going to talk to the senators about it when we go to Rome."


See? Clear thinking like that is what I was just talking about a few days back. And does everything go according to plan? As if!

I'm not going to tell you anything more about the book but this: Helena has just embarked on her quest to find the True Cross and you can forget about me posting anything remotely intelligible until I finish this book. Color me gone!