Saturday, February 20, 2010

For Lenten Music from the East

I found this today, while playing tiddly-winks (er, I mean plotting a course to the next waypoint) with Webster in the cockpit. It is from the Eastern side of the family and very appropriate for Lent, don't you think?

This is based, in part, on Psalm 141,

Lord, I have cried unto Thee, hearken unto me, hearken unto me, Lord I have cried unto Thee, Hearken unto me, attend to the voice of my supplication, when I cry unto Thee, hearken unto me O Lord.

Let my prayer be set forth as incense before Thee, the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice, hearken unto me O Lord.

Set O Lord and watch me before my mouth and a door of enclosure round about my lips.

Incline not my heart unto words of evil to make excuse with excuses in sins.

With men that work in iniquity and I will not join with their chosen.

The righteous man will chasten me with mercy and reprove me as for the oil of the sinner, let it not anoint my head.