Wednesday, June 2, 2010

YIMC Book Club Meeting Reminder

We must begin by a definition, although definition involves a mental effort and therefore repels.

With those words, Hillaire Belloc is getting us prepared for another journey into the history of Christianity. Are you ready to voyage into the mine-filled waters of heresy? I am, because all of this stuff was completely skipped over in my experience growing up.

Tomorrow we kick off the YIMC Bookclub again with The Great Heresies by Hillaire Belloc. On the roll-call list so far, we have the following intrepid readers:

Yours truly,Brandon Vogt, Jason, Sandy, Mary P., EPG, Mary R., Margaret, Sal, and Allison (now that you are a flag officer of YIM Catholic, this is one of your collateral duties. So QUITCHERBELLYACHIN'! Check your contract.).

Don't know the Arian Heresy from a hole in the wall? Then you may want to join us in reading this book too. We welcome you because frankly the more we know, the better off we all are. The first meeting is tomorrow evening.

In the Marines, this would be just ordinary training, following Sun Tzu's dictim:

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

Heretics aren't our enemies, by the way, but heresy is. Uh-oh, this is getting dangerous already. See? I told you it will be a voyage into a minefield.

So we will take it slow, plying the waters carefully. I will be the emcee, but I will need each one of you to help me guide the discussion. With nine of you, each one of you will be able to help me by leading the discussion for a particular heresy.

Yep, I am asking for volunteers. And if nobody raises their hands, I'll assign a chapter to you. I guarantee it. E-mail me your points so I can set them up for you and then we'll let 'er rip in the comm-box. Sounds like fun!

Happy reading and I'll see you tomorrow with a recap of the introduction. I'll be waiting for your volunteer forms in the comm-box below. Deadline is 15:00 tomorrow Eastern time. That's 3 PM for you lubbers.

As the Great Santini said at his change-of-command ceremony, Welcome aboard! LOL.