Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Thanks to My Sisters

Guest Post by Julie Cragon 

One of the greatest gifts God has given me through my parents are my sisters. I hope someday my four girls feel the same way. Whenever I feel overworked, they seem to set me straight. Whenever I feel like I want something more or something that someone else has, they put life back in perspective.

As we walked through a beautiful, new, incredibly well-put-together house of one of our kin, I remarked, "Must be nice! I would just love to have something like this where my kids could spread out and be in totally different parts of the house doing their own things." My sister said, "No you wouldn't. What would you do with all this? You'd have to try to keep something this beautiful clean and all these things in the right place and your kids would be lost." She was right.

What would I do with something huge and gorgeous? Whenever I complain about all the work I have in front of me with the husband, the children, the house, the store, the writing and the travel, one asks, "What would you let go of?" I think I would like to be free to write in my leisure and play golf a couple of times a week. I think I'd like a secretary. "No you wouldn't. You'd go crazy if you weren't overwhelmed with life. You'd miss all the mess. You'd miss the constant challenge." And you know what, they are right.

I think I want to have everything organized and neat and nice and to a point, I do. But when it comes down to brass tacks, I love the "messiness" of my life. I love all that God challenges me to do and to be. I love all the little things that life hands down to me just because it's life.

Now at the time, I might think I want someone else's something, but I guess that one of the things sisters are for, to bring me back to reality and to just say, "No you don't." No you don't want what they have. No you don't want to quit. No you don't want to do nothing. No you don't. And, you know, they are right. All I can say most days is ahhhh! Sisters! How fortunate I am to have two!