Tuesday, June 21, 2011

To John Corapi, With Love (Two for Tuesdays) UPDATED


I missed doing a music post yesterday. I had a few other things on my mind. But I came up with a few selections today, and it being Tuesday, I figured you all might enjoy a Two for Tuesday music post.

The first two songs are to celebrate the official first day of summer. Who better than the Beach Boys for that? The remaining songs are all for Mr. John Corapi, and for those who may have followed him. You see, I have to say goodbye to John Corapi, much like I did for Anne Rice.

Now some of you may think that this isn't the Christian thing to do. Well, I've prayed for John, but nowadays I'm praying more for those who he has let down. As for saying goodbye to him, I'd like to turn your attention to this,

Avoid foolish arguments, genealogies, rivalries, and quarrels about the law, for they are useless and futile. After a first and second warning, break off contact with a heretic, realizing that such a person is perverted and sinful and stands self-condemned.

—St. Paul, inspired by the Holy Spirit. Letter to Titus 3: 9-10

And taking it up the chain-of-command, Our Lord said,

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will know them." - Jesus of Nazareth (Matthew 7:15-16)

Okey, dokey? So let's play some tunes now as I say goodbye.

The Beach Boys, Catch A Wave. It's the first day of summer. 'Nuff said. And it turns out that since Mr. Corapi's announcement, the web surfing has definitely been "up."



The Beach Boys, Deuce Coupe. Live, in Mono. Lip synching? I think not! However, the fans are a little rabid in their adulation, no? Screaming me-mees give me the he-bee ge-bees.



Chris Isaak, Wicked Game. This might actually be the official song of Black Dog Up! Enterprises. The title is dead-on, for sure. And Chris Isaak and his band flat jam too. A what a clean video!



Chris Isaak, Wrong to Love You. Well, let's just say that today's readings clarify how we should live and where our allegiance should lie. As for this song, I enjoy Isaak's voice-over about teamwork and faith, not to mention the message.



Billy Idol, Catch My Fall. Alrighty then. Two things. A) This musician has exactly the right name for a post like this, and B) we all fall down and need the Church and her Sacraments to catch us when we do.



Billy Idol, Daytime Drama This is kind of how I feel about daily Mass. It's where I meet my Hope, and your Hope, for the future day in and day out. It couldn't happen without a priest dutifully providing the Sacraments. And not just 10% of his time, but nearly all of the time. Also, Steve Stevens is a great guitar player!



Stevie Ray Vaughn, Dirty Pool. You all know I love SRV. He's singing about a girl here (I think), but I believe lots of "dirty pool" has been played lately by a certain someone.



Steve Ray Vaughn, Tightrope. It's tough to be a "rock star" priest. In fact, it just might need to be outlawed going forward. Just my two cents. Listen to Stevie Ray for a second and you might agree.



The Police, If I Ever Lose My Faith In You. Pretty self-explanatory, except I haven't lost my faith in Christ or His Holy Church.



Sting, If You Love Someone, Set Them Free. Not technically the Police, but it will have to do. Why can I let John go? Because I must. Free will demands it. As St. John of the Cross said,

‎Live in this world as though there were nothing in it but God & your soul, so that your heart may not be detained by anything that is human.




That's it for this week. I hope you enjoyed the Two for Tuesday format. I'll try to get MfM back on track next week.

Pax Christi