Monday, August 22, 2011

Grosse Point Blank Sound Track (Music For Mondays)

John Cusack is Martin Blank 
My wife has a theory: the sound track makes the movie. I'm not saying I agree with her 100% on this, but her point is well taken. Some folks know how to adapt music to films, but most don't. This is the first in a series of posts where I can firmly say, "They got the music right on this one!"

To start the series off, I'm going to go with what I've always told my friends is the best.date.film.ever. Grosse Point Blank. Wow, is it really 14 years old? It came out a year after my first born came into the world, 1997. Let me channel Jeremy Piven for a second. "FOURTEEN YEARS?! FOURTEEN YEARS Man!"

Why do I love this movie? Well, there's action a plenty, there's a love story (Minnie Driver playing an American!), there's a conflicted main character, who is an assassin, played wonderfully by John Cusack. And there's an absolutely outstanding supporting cast, including the aforementioned Jeremy Piven, and John's real-life sister Joan Cusack playing his able assistant. Other cast members include Dan Akroyd as his nemesis, and his therepist is played by none other than Alan Arkin.

I don't know much about the music other than it is fantastic, features tons of great artists, and that the original score was composed by the late Joe Strummer of the Clash.

How about we start with the trailer, and then hit the score and the tunes?




Netflix that sucker! And now the original score,

Joe Strummer, War Cry.



Next, the music in the order that the tracks appear on the soundtrack album. Minimal liner notes, because, frankly, this will take up your entire lunch hour as it is, and you'll want to listen to the whole thing.

Violent Femmes, Blister in the Sun. This will get the mood started, nicely. And some neat scenes from the movie as well.



The Clash, Rudy Can't Fail. These guys had a very broad musical range, for sure.



The English Beat, Mirror in the Bathroom. This played in the background during an epic fight scene.



Queen & David Bowie, Under Pressure. This is one of my favorite tunes of all time. Instant classic! First a little clip from the film where this music was used (at the high school reunion). I was a brand new father at the time, and I can tell you—babies'll do this to you.



Isn't that the cutest baby ever? Now to the tune.



Johnny Nash, I Can See Clearly Now. I dare you not to smile and be all happy after hearing this. It simply cannot be done.



Guns 'N Roses, Live and Let Die. Paul McCartney and Wings did this one for a James Bond movie of the same title. GPB, uses it when Martin's house is turned into a convenience store. Here's a clip. Try not to bust a gut.



I went back to the town I went to high school in, and the beautiful public library building was being used by an architectural firm, and a few other professionals. I felt a lot like this. Did I mention that my actual high school was demolished and turned into a Walmart shopping center? True story.

Okay, back to the sound track. Slash's version.



Faith No More, We Care a Lot. That's what my representative in Congress says anyway.



The Specials, Pressure Drop. Like the feeling I get when I'm having a margarita. Ahhhh.



The Jam, Absolute Beginners. A little different, but in a good way.



The Clash, Armagideon Time. Yes, that's spelled correctly.



Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, Matador. Um, if a bikini clad lady dancing like a belly dancer, and bullets flying in an alley offend you, then skip this next video. Better yet, darken your screen and just crank up the speakers. That is all.



Pete Townsend, Let My Love Open the Door. The absolutely best version of this song. Ever.



Violent Femmes, Blister 2000. Wraps up the soundtrack with a slower, and funkier, version of the opening track.



That's a wrap folks. See you here next week.